The end of the year is a natural time for reflection: what have I accomplished this year? What am I most proud of? What are my goals for next year?
Too often, we tend to jump from one year to another without really taking the time to take a step back and reflect. So why not make a special gift to yourself in the end of year period and offer yourself a career self-review?
Where to start?
Make time for yourself: turn off all notifications and constant requests from others, and turn yourself inwards for a couple of hours.
Your self-assessment can include writing down your thoughts and answering the below questions:
- What are my accomplishment this year? What are the highlights from this year?
- What am I the most pround of?
- What are the positive and negative feedbacks you received?
- When did you feel at your best? Is there a specific circumstance when you felt the most useful and impactful? Which skills were you using at that time?
- Did you set any goals for yourself at the beginning of the year? If so, which goals did you meet? Which ones fell short?
- Have you learnt any new skills this year?
- Did you invest in your skills?
- Have you identified the skills and knowledge you would like to grow and how?
- Have you tried something new this year? What did you learn from this experience? Is there anything you would do differently?
- What are the 3 things you wish to focus on in the next quarter to help you grow and develop?
Network and relations
- Who have been the most critical interfaces and work relationships for you this year?
- In the past 6 months, have you been in touch with your top 10 most important people in your network?
- What are the ways you could nurture and grow these work relationships in the future?
- How can you expand and diversify your professional network?
- Work environment
- What are your ideal working conditions to be the most productive?
- Is there anything you can implement to improve your work environment?
- What would you like to do more in the coming year? Are there tasks that you would like to focus on next year? Are there skills you would like to use more?
- And on the contrary, what are the tasks that you enjoy less?
- How can you make more time or have more opportunities to make room for the things you really enjoy doing?
- What can you do to make your daily work life more enjoyable?
- What motivates you particularly? And on the contrary what demotivates you?
- What are your goals for the next quarter? The next six months? The next year?