How to make sure your Document Control system is complete. How to enhance your current system? How to implement a new system?
When it comes to a Document Control system, we tend to forget how many activities and items are to be taken into account. We've created a roadmap that can be used to assess your current Document Control system or in implementing a new system.
Indeed, a Document Control system is not only a procedure or a software package. It is much more than that. It should at least cover the following:
- Strategy: What is the Company’s strategy in terms of Document Control? Which department should work with DC? Which category of documents?
- Documenting the rules: Procedures, Instructions to Contractors, etc.
- Document Lifecycle: What is the lifecycle for internal documents? For external documents?
- DC Processes: Who does what and when, when it comes to creating documents, modifying documents, etc.
- Electronic Documents Filing: Which file plan? Where do we file documents? How?
- Hardcopy Documents Filing: Where? How? What are the requirements?
- Information Security: Who can see documents? Which information must be restricted?
- Tools: Registers, checklists, distribution matrices, templates.
- Resources: Resource plan, job description, roles & responsibilities, skills management.
- Awareness about Document Control in the Company.
- Induction: How to make sure that every DC and every user knows about the rules, the tools, the processes.
Download the roadmap